11.06.2009

the approval matrix


Click image to enlarge.

Above is "The Approval Matrix" from New York Magazine. Their "deliberately oversimplified guide to who falls where on our taste hierarchies." It's so simple the way the quadrants can define despicable highbrow or brilliant lowbrow and everything in between. The events are a teeny bit dated as this is from the April 20, 2009 issue. But I should make my own version pertaining to luxury objects and current architecture. Last night I went to see Terry O'Reilley and Mike Tennant talk about their radio show and now book "The Age of Persuasion" at the Toronto Reference Library during their Author Series. During the book signing, I asked him if his work extends beyond bringing people into the store. What about the persuasions that occur within it? Retail interiors and their messages to consumers? Or architecture on a larger scale? The entire building as advertising for a city? He said that he hadn't done any talks on that yet. But maybe he'll tap into that in the near future. And then he proceeded to sign my notebook like this:


On the approval matrix, I say that would land in the highbrow brilliant quadrant :)

No comments: